FAQ – Ironwork
1. How can you tell the age of vintage ironwork?
Ironwork is very difficult to date. The type of design and quality of the finishing of the metal is the way to establish the age of antique ironwork. Antique pieces of iron also have more weight than modern pieces.
2. Can rusty iron be cleaned?
Yes, surface rust can be removed with a wire brush, or by taking the metal to a commercial stripper to have the rust chemically removed.
3. Once the rust is removed will the iron stay clean?
All iron pieces will rust if they are not coated and are exposed to moisture. Therefore, it is necessary to seal antique ironwork with paint or lacquer to avoid new rust.
4. Is there a way to maintain the look of a piece of vintage ironwork while keeping it from more serious rust?
Adding a satin lacquer coat will retard the rust process and help maintain the look of an aged piece of metal?
5. Do antique floor registers fit modern HVAC systems?
HVAC systems have different size requirements than older systems. If a customer wants to use antique floor and wall registers we suggest purchasing the grills in advance so that the HVAC contractor can fabricate the duct work to fit their grills.
View our catalog for ironwork